Laboratory Animal Caretaker, Grade 5
|August 15, 2013 - October 23, 2013|
|Location:||New York, NY|
|Salary Range:||$24,916.00 Plus $3,026.00 Location Pay|
|Benefits:||Full Benefits According to Percentage of Full Time|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Division/Department:||PI- Comparative Medicine|
|Description:||The Laboratory Animal Caretaker performs tasks in the following four categories: |
Animal husbandry - including feeding and watering of animals and sanitation of animal rooms; housekeeping; observations and reporting of animal conditions; and treatment and handling of animals.
|Duties:||1. Attend to the physical needs of animals in both regular and barrier housing units.|
2. Feed and water animals.
3. Clean and sanitization of cages, racks, food bins, rooms and other equipment.
4. Maintain the general health of laboratory animals.
5. Monitor and report animalsí conditions and disease.
6. Ensure that animals are properly identified and housed.
7. Collect and maintain data and records for animal rooms (room activity sheets, procedure room logs, cage wash temperature tape, etc).
8. Put new activity sheets in the animal rooms and cage wash area.
9. Report and replace broken items in the animal rooms.
10. Report environmental problems (temperature, humidity, and lighting) to supervision.
11. Receive animals and place cage cards on deliveries.
12. Perform housekeeping duties as specified in the standard operating procedures.
13. Assist scientists and technicians.
14. Other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
|Qualifications:||1. Incumbents must have high school diploma or equivalent. |
2. Experience handling and caring for animals as a laboratory animal caretaker or certification as an Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician is preferred.
Skills and Abilities:
1. Must be able to communicate in English fluently with animal care staff, investigators, vendors, and all other NYPI staff.
2. Understand the husbandry and care of laboratory rodents and nonhuman primates.
3. Able to handle laboratory animals and be trained to perform injections and minor treatments.
4. Able to lift 40 lbs.
1. 40 hours/week.
2. Work hours may include work on weekends or evenings.
1. All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment screening.
2. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
The Research Foundation is a private not-for-profit corporation and is not an agency or instrumentality of the State of New York. Employees of the Research Foundation are not state employees, do not participate in any state retirement system and do not receive state fringe benefits. Excellent benefits package, AA/EEO Employer.
Applications will only be accepted through website at: http://corporate.rfmh.org then click on Employment Opportunities. Applications will be accepted only during the posting dates as listed at the top of the job announcement.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.