Principal Business Systems Analyst
Salary Grade 27
Under the general direction of the Chief Fiscal Officer (CFO) of the Office of Mental Health (OMH), the Principal Business Systems Analyst will work with staff and other stakeholders to define business needs for new or existing information technology systems used by the Office of Financial Management (OFM). The incumbent will be required to apply a wide range of specialized knowledge, skills, tools and techniques to elicit, analyze, communicate and validate requirements to implement and modify business systems.
Initially, the incumbent’s primary duties will be focused on OMH optimizing its use of the Statewide Financial System (SFS) -- a New York State government initiative that replaced the over 25-year-old Central Accounting System and several agency financial management systems with one integrated, state-wide system. However, longer-term duties will require the incumbent to provide business analysis support for other OMH financial applications.
Location: 44 Holland Avenue, Albany, NY
To Apply: Submit an application and cover no later than April 24, 2013, through our website at http://corporate.rfmh.org - click on Employment Opportunities. Only applications submitted through our website will be accepted.
The Research Foundation is a private not-for-profit corporation and is not an agency or instrumentality of the State of New York. Employees of the Research Foundation are not state employees, do not participate in any state retirement system, and do not receive state fringe benefits. Excellent Benefits Package. AA/EEO Employer.
General Job Duties:
The general duties of the Principal Business Systems Analyst include, but are not limited to the following:
• Providing leadership for the successful innovation, implementation and operation of agency-wide financial management practices, policies, and procedures
• Managing all phases of business systems analysis for large business analysis projects, or a series of smaller projects in a cross functional environment
• Monitoring project activities against project critical parameters to accommodate changing requirements and ensure that project goals and objectives are successfully met
• Directing business systems analysis activities
• Analyzing and revising flow charts, business process models and functional specifications describing as-is or to-be systems or business processes
• Facilitating prioritization of business requirements by stakeholders to gain consensus for information technology projects or business process improvements.
• Developing and preparing presentations to justify and explain technical or business process requirements
• Preparing formal status reports detailing current accomplishments, planned next steps, issues and risks
• Preparing test plans for new systems or business processes
• Executing and evaluating the outcomes of systems testing, and confirming whether the results are consistent with the system or business process specifications
• Reviewing proposals from staff and recommending to management the criticality of revising software applications or business process requirements during and after implementation
• Recommending software upgrades or revising system specifications and business rules to meet business requirements
• Directing the development of training related to business systems implementation for users
2013 Program Initiatives for the Principal Business Systems Analyst:
The incumbent’s initial primary assignment will be to provide business analysis support of financial management lifecycle activities to optimize and standardize the utilization of SFS. ‘Lifecycle activities’ include budget, procurement, accounts payable, billing and accounts receivable, general ledger, administration, and reporting in SFS. More specific duties related to SFS support include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Development and implementation of operational reporting requirements
• Coordination of, and participation in, various OMH SFS internal workgroups which include stakeholders from OFM, OMH facilities statewide, and Central Office program staff
• “Bridge Planning” including future improvements and efficiencies to be gained through OMH usage of SFS via direct entry or bulk load
• Provision of OMH SFS Help Desk management and customer service improvement
• Provision of additional internal SFS training requirements and implementation
Future Program Initiatives for the Principal Business Systems Analyst:
As projects and priorities impacting financial systems change, the incumbent will provide business analysis support services for other OFM information technology projects. Such assignments may include, but are not limited to billing and costing applications, non-SFS financial management systems (i.e., Aid to Localities Fiscal System), capital project cost databases, etc.
The incumbent will be required to hold a Bachelor’s Degree and have a minimum of five to seven years of progressively increasing experience in business systems analysis. He/she must be detail-oriented and must possess the ability to work independently and in teams, as well as be able to facilitate meetings with users and management staff to understand system and business requirements. Moreover, the incumbent must demonstrate the ability to:
• Use recognized business analysis methodologies (JAD sessions, interviews, business process modeling) to elicit and document requirements from business users as the foundation for the solution to the organization's business needs
• Describe in a comprehensive written document (e.g., business case, Information Technology Investment Request (ITIR), fit-gap analysis document, or functional specification) what the system, process, or product/service must do to fulfill the business requirement(s)
• Use recognized business analysis methodologies (e.g., work flow modeling, fit-gap analyses, or functional designs) to design solutions to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the business processes
• Document, communicate, and validate requirements throughout the system, process, or product/service development lifecycle for all changes to processes that would enable the organization to achieve its goals
• Develop test scenarios, scripts, and data; review test results; and assess the implementation of appropriate solutions to ensure they perform to the required specifications and achieve the design capabilities.
Experience with Oracle applications, project management, business intelligence, reporting packages and data warehouses preferred but not required.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.